Eye Injuries From Car Accidents
The eyes are one of the most important vessels on the body, as sight plays a fundamental role in everyday life. Therefore, car accident injuries that lead to impaired sight or even vision loss can drastically change a victim’s entire life. Everything from reading and working, to basic tasks like driving and cooking can become next to impossible with vision loss. Additionally, eye injuries can be excruciatingly painful, and the effects of these injuries can range from redness and sensitivity to light, to permanent blindness. Unfortunately, continuous treatment is often required to monitor sight impairment, and can prove extremely costly. Negligent drivers responsible for your vision loss injury deserve to be held accountable for their careless actions. Attorney David Tapalian is a trusted car accident lawyer in Rhode Island who can help you recover compensation for your suffering and mounting medical bills.How Do Eye Injuries Occur in Auto Accidents?
Eye injuries can be agonizing, and in car accidents, they can occur as a result of broken glass from a window hitting a victim’s eye, or from contact with the steering wheel, an airbag, or other car part. In the most dangerous situations, victims can even suffer chemical burns caused by exposure to airbag powder or other car fluids. Below, are some of the common causes of eye injuries caused by car accidents explained in detail.
- Debris: Collisions often cause glass, dirt, plastic and other objects to fly through the air, any of which could easily land in your eye.
- TBI’s: Sometimes, eye injuries are not apparent for a few days or weeks after the accident as a result of a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Concussions can affect vision because of blunt trauma that causes damage to the brain, leading to vertigo or blurred vision. Though fairly uncommon, Rhode Island Car Accident Attorney Tapalian has dealt with a handful of highly difficult cases involving TBI’s.
- Airbags: Although your airbag may save your life in the event of a collision, it may also lead to a severe eye injury. When the airbag deploys with an explosive force, it can hit your face directly, causing trauma to your eyes.
Regardless of the way that the eye injury occurs, you may be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering, and medical costs. However, eye injuries are frequently challenged in claims against insurance companies. Even with extremely severe eye injuries, it can be difficult to prove to that there is concrete evidence of causation, and often times insurance companies will argue that vision loss was not a result of your accident. In these situations, it’s important to consult with a knowledgeable Rhode Island Car Accident Lawyer like David Tapalian to avoid making a costly mistake with your claim.Examples of Eye Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
- Optic Nerve Damage: This injury results from damage to the optic nerve in the eye. A serious car collision’s impact can cause an increase in pressure within a victim’s skull, specifically to the optic nerve. This force can cut off the blood circulation to the eye, leading to varying degrees of vision loss from distortion to blindness.
- Orbital Fractures: An orbital fracture can occur when the bone surrounding the eye breaks. It can be extremely painful and often requires expensive surgery to correct.
- Corneal Abrasions: This injury results from a scratch to the eye’s surface, the cornea. If left untreated, this injury can become infected and even turn into ulcers.
- Vitreous Hemorrhage: A result of blood from the vessels near the eye flooding into the vitreous, which is part of the center of the eyeball.
- Retinal Detachment: This eye injury results when the retina, located behind the eye, separates from the surrounding tissue. This is a serious, but not uncommon, occurrence. It can lead to permanent blindness in many victims.
Treatment varies depending on the severity of the eye injury, from rinsing with a saline solution to intensive surgery. Rhode Island Car Accident Lawyer David Tapalian urges all victims to seek professional medical attention immediately following any type of auto collision.If You Suffer Vision Loss from a Motor Vehicle Accident, Call Tapalian Law Today
Any car accident, regardless of severity, has the potential to lead to serious pain and suffering for victims. However, vision impairment injuries are some of the most devastating car accident injuries that can affect a victim’s way of life. Victims that suffer vision impairment are often left unable to perform basic tasks, such as housework, driving, and even their jobs without assistance, and victims often have to learn how to use devices to assist them with simple movements like walking. No one should have to suffer such agony due to someone else’s recklessness. In situations such as these, you need a trusted and devoted Rhode Island Car Accident Attorney like David Tapalian. David has proven time and time again that he has the dedication and skills to help you receive maximum compensation for your vision loss injury. These vision loss injuries can lead to serious surgeries, and may require extensive, continuous treatment and appointments, not to mention expensive eyewear and walking devices. These costs can add up quickly and leave people frightened for their financial future. Centrally located in Providence, our offices are easy to access for anyone in the Rhode Island and Massachusetts area. We even do at-home consultations if your fracture injury leaves you unable to walk, or easily get to us. Tapalian Law is an established Rhode Island personal injury law firm and dedicates 100% to every case we handle. Call Tapalian Law today at 401-552-5000 or contact us online to set up a free consultation.